You started to notice that your toenail has been discolored, began to chip off, thickened and obviously look ugly. All this can bring into conclusion that you’re suffering from a fungal infection.
At the first sight of toenail change, you need to manage it right away to prevent your nail from totally be removed due to infection and avoid spread to other nails. There are several things you can do to make the infection go away. To take necessary measures will prevent them from coming back.
Management For Toenail Fungus
- The first treatment you can get for fungal infection is an anti-fungal. Medications are only and should be only prescribed be your doctor. The doctor shall check your toenail and you can be given oral or topical antifungal depending on its severity. Mild to moderate infection can be treated with topical creams, ointments or lacquers. For moderate to severe infection involving other nails, oral is preferred.
- For faster improvement in the nail, it’s best to keep it short, clean and dry as possible. Stop wearing nail polish until the infection is gone.
- Always wash the affected nail with soap and water. Wipe it dry and use open shoes to avoid moisture from building up on the area.
- Anti-fungal powders are available to keep feet dry if ever you need to wear socks and closed shoes. Powder also prevent fungi from becoming many.
- One of the home remedies you can do is to soak the affected foot with vinegar for 15-20 minutes at home thrice a day. Several studies have found out the effectiveness of vinegar in killing fungi.
- Use newly washed cotton socks. Socks made of cotton absorb moisture so your feet and toes will not get moist due to sweat.
- When your affected toe becomes itchy, refrain from scratching it. The spores of the fungi can get into your nails upon scratching and infect it or transfer the fungi to other nails.
- Strengthen your immune system by taking adequate vitamins, eating healthy and nutritious food and drinking enough water. With stronger resistance, you can prevent infection from affecting you.
- Some people have the habit to pick out hang nails or excessive skin. If you’re one of them, try to avoid this because you can cause an opening or injury to your nails which give access for fungi to come in. If you’re bothered by the skin or nail, use appropriate nail kit to trim it.
- Toss away the socks you have worn during your fungal infection days. Those socks may still have fungi and can affect your healthy nails now. If you don’t want to throw them, clean them thoroughly with warm water and detergent.
When you maintain the cleanliness and dryness of your feet, you can totally stop the infection process and get your affected nail treated. Follow these tip to manage toenail infection and you can regain your healthy toenail fast. Treat the infection with antifungal and practice ways to get rid of fungi to solve the problem.11.27.11
You may think that the nails are dead skin cells, without sensation and couldn’t acquire any disease. Every week, you even cut them off and how could an infection occur. Well, there are several nail diseases that could happen and half of those are attributed to fungus.
Toenail fungal infection is not so rare occurrence but could happen to anyone. Once you get the diseases, it takes quite a long time to get it treated. Finding out the causes of this infection can make you stay away from it and prevent it from happening.
The Causes of Toenail Fungus
- Fungi live in an environment that is dark and cool. For people who often submerge their feet in water or that they often get moist, later on they will develop fungal infection. If you often go swimming, stay away from public showers that don’t drain well. The stagnant water on the floor is dirty and can bring infection to your toe.
- Aging is a normal part of life and along with it makes nails brittle and weak. Because of this, its resistance against fungi is also weakened. In order to avoid this means to strengthen your immune system and blood flow to the toe nails are strengthened.
- Circulatory problems impair blood flow to the toes. When blood flow is not good, any injury in the feet and nails take a long time to heal. Fungi are everywhere and can go inside any open wound or cut. This causes fungal infection.
- There’s no problem with wearing nail polishes. But there are those who don’t take off their polish for weeks then continue to coat them again to hide chips. If you’re doing this, you’re increasing your likelihood to acquire the infection.
- Be careful with the socks, shoes, towels and slippers you’re wearing. If you’re fond of sharing these items, you can acquire fungal infection. The infection is easily spread from an infected person to a normal one.
- People who are often in a hurry to wear socks and who often wear closed shoes can acquire the disease. Sometimes, it’s not a habit of people to wipe their feet dry first before wearing anything, especially closed ones. These retain the moisture in the feet and nails inviting fungi to thrive.
- Growing your nails long can also predispose you to infection. With longer nails, the fungi can live and grow better in wider nail surface.
- If you’re fond of getting pedicures, you should make sure that the instruments used are sterile. There are other salons that reuse instruments and can transfer the infection from one person to another. Always ask the person who’ll do it and observe the area where they get these instruments.
These are the main causes of toenail fungus. Now, you know the conditions in which fungi live and how could they get into your toenails, you should be careful to avoid these causes. Toenail fungal infection is really a discomfort and will totally destroy your nail when it occurs. Stay away from the causes and you maintain the integrity and health of your toenails. Visit this site for top rated toenail fungus treatment.