You may think that the nails are dead skin cells, without sensation and couldn’t acquire any disease. Every week, you even cut them off and how could an infection occur. Well, there are several nail diseases that could happen and half of those are attributed to fungus.
Toenail fungal infection is not so rare occurrence but could happen to anyone. Once you get the diseases, it takes quite a long time to get it treated. Finding out the causes of this infection can make you stay away from it and prevent it from happening.
The Causes of Toenail Fungus
- Fungi live in an environment that is dark and cool. For people who often submerge their feet in water or that they often get moist, later on they will develop fungal infection. If you often go swimming, stay away from public showers that don’t drain well. The stagnant water on the floor is dirty and can bring infection to your toe.
- Aging is a normal part of life and along with it makes nails brittle and weak. Because of this, its resistance against fungi is also weakened. In order to avoid this means to strengthen your immune system and blood flow to the toe nails are strengthened.
- Circulatory problems impair blood flow to the toes. When blood flow is not good, any injury in the feet and nails take a long time to heal. Fungi are everywhere and can go inside any open wound or cut. This causes fungal infection.
- There’s no problem with wearing nail polishes. But there are those who don’t take off their polish for weeks then continue to coat them again to hide chips. If you’re doing this, you’re increasing your likelihood to acquire the infection.
- Be careful with the socks, shoes, towels and slippers you’re wearing. If you’re fond of sharing these items, you can acquire fungal infection. The infection is easily spread from an infected person to a normal one.
- People who are often in a hurry to wear socks and who often wear closed shoes can acquire the disease. Sometimes, it’s not a habit of people to wipe their feet dry first before wearing anything, especially closed ones. These retain the moisture in the feet and nails inviting fungi to thrive.
- Growing your nails long can also predispose you to infection. With longer nails, the fungi can live and grow better in wider nail surface.
- If you’re fond of getting pedicures, you should make sure that the instruments used are sterile. There are other salons that reuse instruments and can transfer the infection from one person to another. Always ask the person who’ll do it and observe the area where they get these instruments.
These are the main causes of toenail fungus. Now, you know the conditions in which fungi live and how could they get into your toenails, you should be careful to avoid these causes. Toenail fungal infection is really a discomfort and will totally destroy your nail when it occurs. Stay away from the causes and you maintain the integrity and health of your toenails. Visit this site for top rated toenail fungus treatment.